Want to know How to Add, edit, and delete categories in your WordPress Posts? then you’re in right place.
Adding and changing categories is easy with WordPress. This is your guide to all the things you need to know about adding and deleting categories in WordPress, as well as moving posts around within categories.
Today in this blog I will show you, how you can add, delete and edit categories in your WordPress Website.
Adding, Deleting, and Editing the WordPress categories is super easy, anyone can easily do that, but also sometimes it is hard for some users.
So for those users today in this blog I will tell you all things regarding Adding, Deleting, and Editing the categories.
Things You Need to Know About WordPress Categories
- Posts can be in multiple categories.
- Categories can have subcategories.
- The “Uncategorized” is your default category.
- You cannot Delete the “Uncategorized” category, you can only rename it.
- Pages do not have categories, only posts.
How to Add, Edit and Delete Categories in WordPress
Today I will show you, How to Add, Edit, and Delete Categories in WordPress, so let’s start with adding a category in WordPress post.
How to Add new Category in WordPress Posts
There are two ways for adding a new category in WordPress-
1- Add new category Through the Post Panel
2- Add New category Through the WordPress Dashboard.
Lets firstly know how to Add new category from Post panel-
- Go to Posts > Add new, and from here on the right top side, you will see a Post Section.
- Under the Permalink section, you will find a category, section. here click on the Add New Category, as shown in the screenshot below.
- After clicking on the Add New Category you will see more options. Here you have to give a Name for New Category, and click on the Add New Category button.
After adding new category you will see your added category in the categories section.
How to add category from WordPress Dashboard?
For adding new category from WordPress Dashboard follow these steps-
- Firstly go to, Posts > Categories as shown in the screenshot below.
- Now you will see Categories page, here you can add new category
- Name– in this you have to add the name of your category.
- Slug- Here you have to url for your category in lower case.
- Parent Category- You can have parent and child categories, making hierarchical arrangement of your posts possible.
- Description- Add any short and keyword friendly description related you the category.
- After adding all things, click on the Add New Category button.
Congrats you have successfully created a New Category in your Website. The new category will now appear in the Category list on the Post Panel.
How to Edit Category in WordPress Posts
You can edit the published category in WordPress by following these simple steps-
- To edit the category in WordPress, go to Posts > Categories
- Hower in the category, that you want to edit, and you will see an Edit option, click on the Edit.
- In the Edit category page you will see various field, such as Name, slug, parent category, and description, edit anything you want and then click on the Update button to save your changes.
This is how you can edit category in WordPress.
Remember this- While editing the category, if you edit the slug, your all-post link will be broken, and it will affect your post in search results.
How to Delete Category in WordPress Posts?
After Adding, and editing the category, now let’s know about deleting the category in WordPress.
To delete any category in WordPress, follow these simple steps.
- Go to Posts > Categories
- Hower in the category, that you want to Delete, and you will see a Delete option, click on the Delete.
- After clicking on the Delete, you will see a popup like the below image, click on the Ok button to delete the category.
After clicking on the Ok button your category will be permanently deleted.
Remember This- If you delete any category, the posts having the category you were deleting will also affect the post, and It will unlink all your post from the category.
So, before deleting any category, try to add another category in th post.
So this is how, you can Add, Edit and Delete categories in WordPress posts.
I hope this article about, How to Add, Edit, and Delete Categories in WordPress Posts, has helped you to manage categories in your website.
If you have any question or doubt regarding, you can as via comment section below. Thanks for reading this blog. 🙂