Do you want to know how to change permalinks in WordPress URL?
A permalink is a fixed and unchanging URL that is used to access a specific page or post on your website. Permalinks are essential for website stability and user-friendliness. They provide a reliable web address, so visitors always find the same content even if the website structure changes.
Permalinks are essential for SEO because they help search engines index and understand your website content. They improve user experience by creating human-readable links that make it easy for visitors to find your content.
In this article, we will share the step-by-step guide on how to change permalink in WordPress.
Why Should You Change Permalinks in WordPress
Changing the permalink in WordPress enhances your website’s SEO. Using a well-structured permalink that includes keywords related to your website content can boost your website ranking higher on search engines.
Descriptive permalinks are more user-friendly, making it easier for visitors to find the content they are looking for. User-friendly URLs make people more likely to click and improve the overall user experience. They also help people to remember and share your content.
It also helps to avoid duplicate content. If you have multiple pages or posts with the same permalinks, this can create duplicate content issues.
It is also helpful when you restructure your website. Changing permalinks can help match content changes and align with your new website goals.
How to Change Permalinks in WordPress
Changing the permalinks structure in WordPress is a simple process. Here we share a step-by-step guide on how to change permalink in WordPress.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard as an administrator.
- Go to “Settings” and select “Permalinks”.
- Select the permalink structures that you want to use.
- Click on the “Save Changes” button.
WordPress offers different options for permalink structure. You can choose the predefined structures or create a custom structure. Some permalink structures are:
- Plain– This is a default permalink structure and doesn’t include any keywords from your post titles.
- Day and Name- This permalink structure uses the date and post name in the URL.
- Month and Name- This permalink structure uses the month and post name in the URL.
- Numeric- This permalink structure includes post IDs in the URL.
- Post Name- This structure only includes the post name in the URL. This is the popular choice for SEO and user-friendliness.
- Custom Structure- This allows you to create your own permalink structure.
After selecting or customizing your permalink structure, you can click on the “Save Changes” button to apply the new permalink settings.
Make sure to test your website thoroughly to ensure that all the links and pages are working as expected.
Note- Changing the permalink structure can affect your SEO ranking and user experience. So it is suggested to select the structure that suits your website and stick with it for a long time.
You can also watch the Video tutorial below on – How to Change Permalinks in WordPress URL.
Tips for Creating SEO-friendly Permalinks
Here are some tips that help you create SEO-friendly permalinks:
- Use such keywords to your permalinks that are relevant to your site content. Keywords help search engines understand the topic and improve your chances of ranking.
- Keep your URL short and simple. Shorter URLs are easier to read and remember.
- Avoid using unnecessary words, special characters, and symbols in the permalink. This can make it difficult for search engines to index your content.
- Use descriptive words in the permalink. Your permalink should provide a clear idea of what your content is about.
- If you change the permalinks for existing content, it is important to use 301 redirects to ensure that your old URLs move permanently to the new URLs.
Q: What happens when you change permalinks in WordPress?
Ans: When you change permalinks in WordPress, your older links of pages and posts will no longer work.
Q: Will changing the permalink affect SEO ranking?
Ans: Yes it will affect your SEO ranking, so it is essential to select the new permalink structure carefully that is relevant to your content and set 301 redirects to ensure old URLs redirect to the new one.
Changing the permalink in WordPress is a thoughtful choice that can significantly impact your SEO ranking and user experience. Selecting the right permalink structure can enhance your website visibility and ensure a smooth browsing experience for your users.
That’s it! Now you have learned how to change permalinks in WordPress in easy steps.
If you find this article helpful, do share it with your friends. If you have any questions regarding anything, do not hesitate to comment down below, we will help you to solve your problem. Thanks for reading this blog.